Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship (WCS), many World Championship Qualifiers (WCQ) events, canceled. WCQ – National Championships and Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series (YCS) are postponed.
Once again, the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, so we wanted to make you aware of some NEW updates to the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME events schedule over the next few months, which are detailed below in an official statement from KONAMI.
To the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME community –
As we monitor developments related to this pandemic, we continue to take seriously the guidelines and recommendations put forth by government health authorities and experts. In keeping with those guidelines and in recognizing our own responsibility to prioritize the health and safety of our entire Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG community, it is with heavy hearts that we announce the following changes to our 2020 events schedule:
Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship (WCS)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2020 (originally August 22-23) is canceled.
- All Duel Links players that have qualified for WCS 2020 will receive invitations to compete at WCS 2021.
World Championship Qualifiers (WCQ)
- South America WCQ – Quito, Ecuador (originally June 5-7) is canceled.
- Central America WCQ – Guadalajara, México (originally June 12-14) is canceled.
- North America WCQ – Orlando, Florida (originally June 19-21) is canceled.
- Duelists who received invitations to 2020 WCQs will receive invitations to compete at the 2021 WCQs.
WCQ – National Championships
- All nationals are postponed.
Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series (YCS)
- YCS Pasadena (originally May 23-24) is postponed.
We realize the WCQ – National Championships and WCQs are not just the qualifying events for the World Championships, but also an important chance to crown the best in Yu-Gi-Oh! in each country, as well as on each continent. To ensure this opportunity is still afforded to Duelists around the world, we’re excited to continue to host National Championships in Latin America and Europe, State Championships in Oceania, as well as host Championships in Central, South and North America along with Europe and Oceania later this year. We will share further details regarding these tournaments in the future.
As circumstances evolve, we will continue to communicate with you often and will provide any new information, including updates on the status of postponed and future events, as it becomes available. Please continue to visit our official Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG website and official social media channels on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news and updates:
- Official Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG website: https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_TCG
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialYuGiOhTCG/
Additionally, those with non-press-related inquiries regarding event cancellations and updates on future events are encouraged to contact email@example.com for updates.
We understand the disappointment many of our fans and Duelists may feel as a result of these changes to our event schedule but look forward to sharing news of our upcoming events with you all soon. While we share in your disappointment, we are confident this decision is in the best interest of the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG community and will preserve the integrity of the events that allow us to come together in the spirit of friendship and friendly competition. Thank you for your continued support, patience and understanding as we work to keep our valued Duelists, partners and team members safe; we look forward to brighter days ahead for us all.
We will continue to bring you the latest COVID-19 updates and news related to TCG events as it comes in to our newsroom, so stay tuned.